Monday, September 12, 2011

the power of the spoken word

I don't really write on the weekends? But it's Monday so here.

  • Friday night
  • an old friend
  • wrestling 101
  • the power of the spoken word
  • Saturday night
  • kayaking and beach
  • Amy
  • Titan Guy
  • my protein shake

Friday night
so Friday night didn't happen as predicted. Instead I went to the grocery store and stocked up on all the junk for my cheat day Saturday. Items included red velvet cake, Malta polar and spaghetti. Also cheesecake, key lime pie, etc etc.



an old friend
As I drove to the grocery store, my mom brought up an old friend of mine who was an instructor at the gym. She asked if there was somehow I could train with him. I wish, I told her, as he lives very very far, about an hour away. He used to make the trip to teach at my gym on Fridays after my old class. Aside from being a substitute at the school he worked at, he was also the wrestling coach and helped lead the gym owners to stardom. Meaning, he is really really good. :-) Saturday morning I drove to gym again (I now have this new found freedom I did not have before because of immigration issues) and arrived early. There was a morning class going on and I sat along the ring to see who was attending my class in less than half an hour. My sister made me aware that this wrestling coach friend of ours was grappling with another friend of ours! I was so surprised because not only had we just mentioned him, I had been thinking about him for about a week now! We hadn't seen him since that embarrassing GSP vs Shields UFC match in April. When he finished his session, he walked up to us and we all group-hugged. It was so so so so so nice to see him again. He stayed behind to watch our class and watch me suck at wrestling. While he hid behind the heavy bags to watch me, I told him to cover his eyes. During one bout, I took the kid's back. As I got up (because the round was over and our coach had us take a water break) I walked over to him.

me: "You saw didn't you? I told you to cover your eyes."
him: He laughed. "No no I saw. Trust me, you're a wrestler, you just don't even know it yet."

DING DING DING, EGO BOOST.

Class finished and I spoke to him about my fear of take downs and being aggressive because of the nasty guillotine choke I had gotten caught in. After that day, I decided to become the offensive personality in the match, though I know defending tires more than attacking. He completely understood and offered to help me when he returned from his errands. I headed home for a bowl of spaghetti and fresh clothes, and met him back at the gym at 3.

wrestling 101
We stepped inside the ring, the old friend/ wrestling coach "T" and my longtime grappling friend, Chelse.

I faced T and told him one thing very simply:

"Pretend it's my first day of wrestling practice. I don't know anything at all. But we can skip the parental consent forms, I'm 18. I can sign my own stuff."

He laughed but I could tell this relaxed him, because from there he knew what to do. It wasn't like a "oh let's see what you know" or a "you know how to do this already? oh.."

He had me stand in my stance. T modified and tweaked my stance, positions and gave me valuable tips throughout the session.

I had asked him how the hell could I lift someone without using my back.

"You have strong legs. Let's put them to use." He said, when I asked.


These are not my legs. Why would I post a picture of my legs? Just trust that my legs are ferociously strong.


But anyways, EGO BOOST!

By the end of the practice, I could properly lift up Chelse without straining my back as I normally had done.I could also take someone down without having to slam my knees on the floor (which always pained me so fricking MUCH) and learned what to do after acquiring a single leg. My wrestling had always been sloppy but now that I have a basic knowledge of it and proper form, I shall just drill my 3 moves. T explained that wrestling was about having basically 2 or 3 go-to moves. This week I am going to just drill drill drill those three take downs over and over. I will become the aggressor now, thanks to such an amazing person, T.


T is the guy on the right, with the camouflage colored trunks.



the power of the spoken word
You know, many people say things out loud and I am the kind of person who believes a lot on calling energies by the spoken word. I'm not here to force my beliefs on anybody, read this on your free will, but I believe simple repetition of something, anything, can somehow come true. Thinking it, wishing for it, speaking about it. Just how my mom mentioned T randomly, as I had already been thinking about him. How amazing was it that as I entered that day, he was there and not only was he there, but gave me amazing advice? Advice I know I will carry with me throughout my practice.

Saturday night
I did not go fishing how I wanted. Instead I went out with my best friend to eat. I was speaking to him about the kayaking trip the next day and he had told me how ML had invited him to go, but he didn't want to. He lied about having plans.Then this happened.

C: *talking-like-its-such-a-drag*how much is it anyways?
J: it's $15. I'm so excited. It's going to be such a fabulous workout for my arms and torso.
C: *talking-like-its-such-a-drag* And at what time is this?
J: we are going early, at 9:30.
C: 9:30?!?!?!?!?!?!?! *talking-like-its-such-a-drag* Okay I'll go.

I so knew he wanted to go. And so he did end up going. But before that, we went to the new Walmart by my place, where it literally took us 25 minutes in a line to buy ONE pack of socks, plus ONE Pepsi.

kayaking and the beach
KAYAKING WAS SO AWESOME. I went very well prepared, with a lot of sunscreen, one of my competition rash guards, lots of water, a cap. We kayaked across a few islands, until we decided to get off at one and stay for a bit. ML and I went exploring to the opposite side of the island. There were mounds of ant piles and mosquitoes by the pound. We jogged back and ate watermelon by one of the picnic tables. The sun was blazing hot as well. I think I have sunspots on my face. We threw the kayaks back into the water and paddled back to the dock. By then all our arms wanted to fall the hell off. Afterwards we all decided to hike over to the beach. I got in a sports bra and shorts, because i didn't know we were going to the beach in the first place. We loved it so much, we're doing it again this Sunday. I am sore as hell all over my body, including my legs. And I don't even know why, on my legs, because we were merely sitting.

Amy
My little chicken has been doing so much better. I had to hand feed her a couple of times but she is doing awesome now. Her dad managed to finish plucking out all of her orange cheek feathers but now has left her alone. Amy is also developing her climbing skills, as just Saturday she finally climbed one of the perches in the cage. She is queen of that perch, as well, because no one else is allowed to get on it. :)

Titan Guy
After last week's dreaded encounters, tension has flared. Today while walking out of my sister's school, Titan Guy left his group of friends and followed close behind me. As I turned around for a quick glance, I noticed him heading out behind me, looking at me. I got so scared, I walked straight into a different route instead of my usual one. This is getting out of hand. I have his plates and now he drives an old Acura. He creeps me out. My mom is getting angry at this too. This isn't a joke anymore. I hope he leaves me alone tomorrow and the rest of my life. Mom says if I don't handle this, she is stepping in. I don't want her to, I'm not a baby or something, but this hasn't ever happened to me before and though I know I am a strong personality, I don't know how to handle this. Normally I would just tell people to f*** off and that's it. I have to do this all educated and respectful-like. I just watch too much Criminal Minds and am afraid of what to do if he grabs me. I know I'll react. But I think my reaction will be all or nothing. Be like Tyson and bite his ear off or something. :-/

My protein shake
Okay remember that fabulous recipe? the great tastin' pink drink one? Today I added TWO scoops of protein powder. It came out so creamy. I didn't mind that, or the fact that I couldn't chew the coarse little fiber powders because of its creaminess.

Let's see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment